chocolate chip shortbread cookie It’s so rich and buttery that it just melts in your mouth!
This easy one-bowl recipe becomes a classic shortbread cookie recipe with the addition of mini chocolate chips. They are sweet and charming.
These cookies are perfect for dipping, dipping, and sharing!
chocolate chip shortbread cookie
This is an old family recipe from my friend Toni that I turned into a simple slice and bake cookie. These are definitely tops on our list of favorite cookies!
- shortbread cookies are rich with butter flavor.
- This recipe uses simple everyday items you might have on hand.
- You can dip it in chocolate or change the ingredients!
- chocolate chip Shortbread cookie dough freezes beautifullyJust double the batch and freeze the logs until ready to slice and bake!
Ingredients for chocolate chip shortbread cookies
butter – For best results, use unsalted butter. Butter has a poor flavor and texture and is not recommended as a substitute.
flour – Cake and pastry flours are recommended for a light, melt-in-your-mouth texture. See recipe notes for substitutions.
icing sugar – Powdered sugar is easier to incorporate than granulated sugar and has a better texture.
Add-ins and variations
- Shortbread cookies are perfect for adding festive ingredients like chopped dried cranberries, dried cherries, and lemon zest.
- Mix it with a variety of chips such as white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, etc. Add finely chopped almonds, walnuts, pistachios, or even macadamia nuts.
- Sprinkle with melted chocolate and top with colorful sprinkles!
How to make chocolate chip shortbread cookies
- Stir the flour and mini chocolate chips in a small bowl (this ensures that the chocolate chips are evenly distributed).
- Beat butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients including flour, As per the recipe below.
- Form the dough into a log and chill for 1 hour (this keeps the cookie shape).
- Slice and bake until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
keep cookies fresh
- Just like icebox and sugar cookies, chocolate chip shortbread cookie dough can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days until ready to bake.
- Place chocolate chip shortbread cookies in a covered container and store at room temperature for up to 10 days.
- Add a slice of bread to soak up any moisture that may occur with temperature changes.
- Fresh or baked cookies can be frozen in a resealable bag for up to 3 months.
Other Chocolate Chip Favorites
Chocolate chips are a great addition to almost any cookie recipe.
chocolate chip shortbread cookie
Sweet and decadent, these chocolate chip shortbread cookies hit all the right notes!
In a small bowl, mix the flour and chocolate chips.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating for 2-3 minutes, until mixture is fluffy.
Add water, vanilla and salt until well mixed. Gradually mix the flour and chocolate chips using a wooden spoon.
Form the dough into a log about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 1 foot long and roll in parchment paper. Chill for 1 hour or up to 4 days.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Remove from refrigerator and remove from parchment paper.
Slice dough into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place on ungreased baking sheets 1 inch apart.
Bake for 18-22 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For best results, use unsalted butter.
- Chill dough for even slicing. The dough can be chilled for several days or frozen for later.
- Experiment with different types of chocolate chips or add nuts for a crunchy finish.
These cookies will keep at room temperature for up to 10 days. Raw cookie dough or cooked cookies can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
calorie: 164 | | carbohydrates: 16g | | protein: 2g | | obesity: Teng | | saturated fat: 6g | | Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g | | Monounsaturated fat: 3g | | Trans fat: 0.3g | | cholesterol: 19mg | | sodium: 31mg | | potassium: 64mg | | fiber: 1g | | sugar: 6g | | Vitamin A: 217IU | | calcium: 9mg | | iron: 1mg
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary depending on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photos are copyrighted. We encourage you to share this recipe. Copying and/or pasting entire recipes onto social media is strictly prohibited. See our photo usage policy here.