if you know me (or if you follow me) Instagram), you know this: obsession with my cat. Her Calico sisters of 12 years, Millie and Crouton, are my raison d’etre. As I work from home, they are always by my side. So their morning nap serves as the backdrop for every Zoom meeting. I’m not new to pet ownership, but I still want the best for women. I started a new hobby. both kittens and dogs.
Featured image by Michelle Nash.
Reviewed: Best Products for First-Time Pet Owners
In this era of powerlessness and mindful consumption, we are collectively moving closer to the fact that where we put our money matters. Not only for our bank accounts, but also for the well-being of the planet and, in this case, our pets. Did you rush to buy the first litter box you saw on Petco, only to find yourself upset a week later by how unsightly it was? Maybe you’ve discovered that you haven’t lived up to your love of burrowing into anything and everything.
The point is, I’m here to help you get great value for your pet loving money. Find out. No buyer regrets here.
Note: Not recommended for pet food. Talk to your veterinarian about what’s best for your cat or dog based on age, activity, and dietary needs.
All of our products have been carefully curated by our editors and we always give honest opinions whether it’s a gift or something you bought for yourself. can be obtained.
best products for dogs
Best dog beds: Fable Pets Memory Foam Dog Bed
If a product is branded as a “universal dog bed,” do it. There are many (many) different sleepers, just as there are countless different dog breeds. Some like to burrow, lie down, and chew in their sleep. And while our picks can’t describe every sleeper out there, they are the most comfortable, softest, and easiest-to-clean picks available.
comfortable: Human-grade crushed memory foam promotes restorative sleep, while pre-shaped dimples provide orthopedic support.
How to wash: Machine wash warm and hang to dry
- The simple design comes in 6 colors to suit almost any home aesthetic.
- 3 sizes available (XS/S, M, L/XL)
- The exterior is waterproof, antifouling, and easy to clean
- UV resistant for indoor and outdoor use
- The bedspread can be easily removed and machine washed
What is not:
- While soft, the waterproof cover can be noisy when your dog moves.
Best leash: Atlas Pet Company Lifetime Leash
We want a lot from our leashes: non-chewing, comfortable for both dogs and humans, and ready for any adventure. Lifetime Leash ticks all the boxes. Made from climbing rope and designed with a custom clamp, everything about this leash is ergonomic and designed with durability in mind. And while it’s not necessarily “bite-resistant” (is there anything?), Atlas Pet Company guarantees free repairs, so you’ll love this leash for a lifetime.
material: The leash is made from 9mm dry treated climbing rope and a 316 stainless steel clip.
- Available in 7 colors and 5ft or 8ft length options
- Average 4.89 out of 5 star rating based on 790 reviews
- Lightweight (5 foot leash weighs 6.1 oz)
- Free repair (if the dog is still chewing on the leash)
- Handcrafted in Colorado
What is not:
- Some buyers have noticed that their pup chewed the leash within days (or minutes)
Best Harness: Ruffwear Front Range® Dog Harness
Ruffwear has been a longtime favorite of my family. Both my sisters dogs are fully decked out in branded gear, from jackets to boots to this game-changing harness. Not only does it feature two leash attachment options, but it also features reflective trim and a light he loop to increase your dog’s visibility.
comfortable: It features closed-cell foam internal padding for easy long-term wear.
Care: Hand wash with mild detergent and air dry
- It features two leash attachment options for daily walks and for supporting dogs with a tendency to pull.
- Built-in ID pocket allows easy access to tags
- There are 5 sizes from XXS to XL.
- Available in 8 colors
- Average 4.6 out of 5 star rating based on 2,401 reviews
What is not:
- Several 1-star reviewers noted that the stiffness of the harness caused chafing.
best dog jackets: Ruffwear Cloud Chaser™ Dog Jacket
Another Ruffwear favorite. Like dog beds, it’s hard to name the best dog jacket overall. ? Despite its lightweight construction, this waterproof softshell jacket can withstand all types of weather: rain, snow, wind and cold.
Care: Wash gently with mild detergent in cold water. Hang to dry.
- Zipper closure and sleeves promote core warmth
- Designed with waterproof, windproof and breathable softshell fabric for all winter weather
- 4-way stretch sleeve allows pup to move comfortably
- Features reflective accents for added visibility
What is not:
- Some buyers find sizing inconsistent despite following the measurement guide
Best Dog Bowl: wild one bowl kit
The best dog bowl should cover a few bases. Wild One Bowl Kit? Check, check, check. These bowls have a simple design, come in four colors to suit any home aesthetic, and can also be personalized (custom emoji included). It’s clear that Wild One paid attention to detail when designing this bowl his kit.
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- Available in four colors and customization options
- non-slip silicone base
- Available in small or standard size to fit your dog perfectly
What is not:
- Some reviewers note paint chipping after months of use
Best Dog Crate: Midwest Altima Pro Series Dog Crate
This dog crate is durable and hardly escapes thanks to its thick wire construction. It may be more expensive than other picks, but you’re paying for the peace of mind that comes with holding your own bottom pan against claws and feet. Plus, it’s easy when you need a crate on the go. can be packed and carried. It can be folded so that you can carry it with a convenient carrying handle.
- Easy to assemble and carry while providing good protection for your tough dog
- Convenient double doors (front and right side)
- Available in 5 sizes
What is not:
- Works for transport in a pinch, but its heavy construction makes it less portable than crates specifically designed for travel
best product for cats
Best Affordable Toilets: litter box spirit cat litter
For beginners, cleaning a cat’s litter box is more of a chore than it looks. Some days you just need a quick scoop, other days you need a complete box overhaul. For the latter, using this toilet is made easy with a handle that makes it easy to pick it up and throw it away. Beyond that, the design is unobtrusive so you can sneak into corners while still giving your cat plenty of privacy. I love how effective it is.
- Flexible handles make it easy to transport the box and remove debris
- high walls contain chaos
- Easy to clean
What is not:
- Plastic – may need to be replaced within 1-3 years
Note: If you’re tempted to spend your money on a self-cleaning litter box, we’re all for it wire cutter:please do not. As they shared in their review of some models, it’s hard to justify toilets that often malfunction and are paradoxically hard to clean.Litter-Robot retails for $699), it’s simply not worth the cost.
Best Discreet Toilet Enclosure: hales toilet enclosure
I live in a one room loft style apartment. And while there’s plenty of room for Chicago standards, the open floor plan means you have very little choice when it comes to finding a toilet home. Thankfully, after weeks of comparing toilet enclosures , we ended up with this minimalist option that conveniently doubles as furniture. At first I was worried Millie (who weighs 16 pounds) would be uncomfortable, but we both had no problem using the bathroom. increase. You can also display this in your living room without worrying if your guests notice you have left their drinks in the bathroom. Don’t worry, I clean the box itself thoroughly multiple times during her day.
- The wood looks sturdy and the clean, modern design blends well with other furniture.
- Provides privacy for cats and makes them comfortable even for large cats
What is not:
- Even my (very handy) partner found this difficult to put together. I concluded that one person cannot build it.
Best cat bed: Tuft & Paw Kip Cat Cushion
After buying bed by bed, I’ve learned the hard (and expensive) way I don’t seem to like cat beds. the girls I was hooked. As bonded cats, they loved cuddling in cheap pet store beds, but it was clear from the constant purring that this plush option met their sleepy needs. It offers a nest-like design that doubles the cozy factor by 10. And the faux shearling cover goes beyond softness. My daughter likes to sleep with me, so I chose the wide size, and both of them were able to sleep comfortably.
- Design-focused cat cushions look beautiful in any space
- Concave structure provides a nest-like resting place for cats
- Sculpted foam core helps the bed maintain its shape
- Comes in 2 sizes to fit all cats
Best cat scratching posts: MS!MAKE SURE cat scratch post
My cat loves scratching posts, but she also loves scratching the CB2 sofa. (Alas, this seems to be the reason why I can’t have a good one…) They’re scratching this post multiple times a day, regardless of the state of my couch. This scratching post is very versatile and has his three different modes to make cats pick it over furniture more often. It can be flipped horizontally or vertically for scratching, or flipped upside down to use as a side table.
- Comes with a non-slip silicone sticker to protect hardwood floors
- Three modes allow this scratcher to fit seamlessly into any home
Best food bowl: Cat person mesa bowl
When it comes to your cat’s mealtime, there’s more to it than food alone. This food bowl is ergonomically designed to support your cat’s comfort while also functioning as a work of art. I love each of her four colorways (although Savannah is my favourite) and as someone who is obsessed with her cats, giving her the best and prettiest bowls is in my heart. Warm up.
- Ergonomically designed to feed your cat at the ideal height (no more hunching!).
- A shallow bowl intentionally designed to hold a cat’s whiskers without stirring
- Dishwasher safe and made from BPA-free plastic
What is not:
- No complaints! Maybe… prettier color options? as i said, obsession (with this bowl and my cat baby).