Perhaps the most underrated sound in the world today is silence.
In fact, silence seems to be becoming more and more rare.
Instead of sitting in silence, we turn on streaming services, scroll through social media, play video games, and listen to music through wireless speakers.
And while each item on that list may have some benefit, the importance of stillness and silence is often overlooked.
Studies show that silence “restores the nervous system, helps maintain energy, and prepares our minds to be more adaptive and responsive.”
More than that, it provides an opportunity to connect with our soul, assess direction and motivation, and pave the way for the future. a more purposeful life.
But how can we find it in an increasingly busy world?
Let me give you 19 ideas.
19 Ways to Create Quiet Time
1. Get up 15 minutes earlier than usual.
2. Turn off the radio while driving.
3. Take a quiet walk during your lunch break.
4. Turn off the noise and practice mindful eating without distractions.
5. Replace TV and streaming time with quiet reflection.
6. Incorporate quiet time into your (and your child’s) bedtime routine.
7. Take time in the shower to focus and think.
8. Turn off music while walking, running or exercising.
9. Use housework as an opportunity for mindfulness and silence.
10. Spend time in nature.
11. Sit quietly on purpose every time you close your computer.
12. Put 15 minutes of silence on your calendar.
13. Create a quiet space in your home.
14. Participate in religious/spiritual services that offer opportunities for meditation.
15. Take advantage of unplanned downtime.
16. Cancel one recurring commitment and replace it with loneliness.
17. Turn off podcasts.
18. Sip your morning coffee quietly.
19. Tell others about the importance of silence in your life and enlist their support.
We know that not every item on this list applies to your unique life. And it’s true that some seasons are easier to find quiet time than others.
But often the seasons in life where silence and quiet reflection are most difficult to find are when they are most needed. Hopefully this list will spark some new ideas for all of us. I hope you will.