welcome to The Tim Ferris ShowIt’s usually my job to deconstruct world-class performers to bring out routines, habits, etc. that can be applied to my own life.
This time we have featured a special edition Dr. Mark Plotkin When Brian C. Murarescu.
Mark took over my duties as host and interviewed Brian, plants of the gods podcast.Dear listeners, you are the first to hear the audio, so this The Tim Ferris Show Exclusive. We previously shared some of our favorite episodes from that podcast at tim.blog/plantsofthegods. These episodes cover many fascinating areas.
So who Dr. Mark Plotkin? mark (@DocMarkPlotkin) is an ethnobotanist who serves as chairman. Amazon Conservation Team, partners with about 80 tribes to map and improve the management and protection of nearly 100 million acres of ancestral rainforest.he is best known to the public as the author of the book The story of a shaman apprentice, one of the most popular books ever written about the rainforest.his latest book Amazon: What Everyone Should KnowRead our interview with Mark at tim.blog/markplotkin.
And today’s guest is Brian C. MurarescuWho is Brian? Brian (@Brian Muraresku) graduated from Brown University with a Phi Beta Kappa degree in Latin, Greek and Sanskrit. The Key to Immortality: The Secret History of an Unnamed Religion Brian’s debut work. In 2020, new york times It became a bestseller and was named “Best of 2020” in Audible’s History category.his website is brianmuraresku.comYou can also find him on Instagram @brian_muraresku.
It’s a jam-packed 55-minute interview.mark and brian cover Eleusinian MysteriesThe Pagan Continuity Hypothesis, Early Christianity, Lessons from Renowned Religious Scholar Karen Armstrong, Overlooked Aspects of the Career of Influential Philosopher William James, Ancient Wines and Ancient Beers, Experiencing the God within us,Tikkun Oram” — repairing and improving the world as we go — and a lot more.
provided by GiveWell.org Philanthropic Research and Effective Giving When 5th fridaymy own email newsletter.
#646: Dr. Brian C. Murarescu and Mark Plotkin — Eleusinian Mysteries, Discovery of God, Keys to Immortality, Pagan Continuity Hypothesis, Lessons from Scholar Karen Armstrong, and Many More
This episode GiveWell.org ! For over 10 years, GiveWell.org We’ve helped donors find the charities and projects that save and improve lives the most for every dollar spent. GiveWell spends over 30,000 hours researching charities each year and only makes recommendations Some of the most influential and evidence-backed charities they found In total, over 100,000 people used GiveWell to make the most effective donation possible.
This year, we support the charities that save and improve the most lives. Gibwell. For my listeners who are new GiveWell donors, we have our first donation. Match up to $100 when you go to GiveWell.org Select “PODCAST” and “Tim Ferriss” at checkout.
This episode 5th friday, Every Friday, my own email newsletter features 5 bullet points about the coolest things I found that week: apps, books, documentaries, gadgets, albums, articles, TV shows, new hacks and tricks. doing. Weird stuff I’ve dug up from around the world.
It’s free. Always free. Subscribe now at tim.blog/friday.
What’s your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Let me know in the comments.
Scroll down for links and show notes…
Selected links from episodes
- connect with Brian Muralescu:
website | | twitter | | Instagram
- connect with Dr. Mark Plotkin:
website | | Plants of the Gods Podcast
Amazon Conservation Team | | twitter | | Facebook
- The Key to Immortality: The Secret History of an Unnamed Religion Amazon
- Plants of the Gods: Their Divine, Healing, and Illusory Powers by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann, and Christian Rätsch Amazon
- Mark’s review on The Immortality Key | American Plant Council
- Back to the Future | Prime Video
- Mystery of Eleusis: The Psychedelic Cult Gizmodo Has Flourished Nearly 2000 Years
- Roots: An American Family Story by Alex Haley | | WahooArt.com Amazon
- Odyssey by Homer | | WahooArt.com Amazon
- Eleusis: the mysterious ancient city of Greece named the cultural capital of Europe
- Kykeon: Ancient Psychotropic Mysteries | Truffle Report
- Road to Eleusis: Mystery Secrets Revealed by R. Gordon Wasson, Albert Hoffmann, Carl AP Lack | Amazon
- Was Kukeon a psychedelic beer? | | r/Ask Historians
- The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: A Study of the Nature and Origins of Christianity in Ancient Near Eastern Fertility Worship Amazon
- Rick Doblin — The Psychedelic Dominoes That Inspire Everyone else | The Tim Ferris Show #440
- How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Tells Us About Consciousness, Death, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence Amazon
- This is Your Mind for Plants by Michael Pollan | | WahooArt.com Amazon
- Michael Pollan — Exploring the Psychedelic Front | The Tim Ferris Show #365
- Michael Pollan — This is your heart for plants. The Tim Ferris Show #520
- Lophophora Williamsii (Mezcal, Mezcal Button, Peyote) | North Carolina Extension Gardener Plant Toolbox
- Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) | Drug discovery science
- Nitrous Oxide Philosophers | Atlantic
- Peyote: Sacred Cactus | Plant of the Gods
- Did the Romans basically steal all ideas from Ancient Greece? | | Quora
- Gnosticism | Encyclopedia of Gnostic Internet Philosophy
- Mystery of Dionysus | Wikipedia
- Mark 4:11 Bible Gateway
- Mysterious Religious Influences on Christianity Martin Luther King Jr. Institute for Research and Education
- Ayahuasca and Creativity by Benny Shannon | | WahooArt.com map
- Harmara alkaloids | PsychonautWiki
- Chemically Induced Iranian Zoroastrian Otherworldly Experience ESPD55
- Dennis McKenna — The Depths of Ayahuasca: 500+ Sessions, Fundamentals, Advanced Topics, Science, Church, Learning, Warning, and Beyond | Tim Ferris Show #523
- Zoroastrianism | Wikipedia
- Alcohol in the Bible | Wikipedia
- Death of Socrates – Wikipedia
- What killed Socrates?Toxicological Considerations and Questions | Journal of Graduate School of Medicine
- Early Christians may have been high on hallucinogenic communion wines.Vise
- Hallucinogens, Healing, Culture, and Conservation | Plants of the Gods
- Detection of beer brewed 5,500 years ago in Godin Tepe (Iran).beer research
- The Role of Cults and Feasts in the Emergence of Neolithic Communities: New Evidence from Gobekli Tepe, Southeastern Turkey.ancient times
- Which comes first, beer or bread? | | Quora
- First Wines and Beers: Chemical Detection of Ancient Fermented Beverages | Celent Analytical Chemistry
- Midas Touch | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ale
- Big Sink, Mushroom Expert Unearths Stoning Monkey Theory
- How does the drunken monkey hypothesis explain our taste for alcohol?Atlantic
- True Values | Philosophy Story
- Papal Commission for Sacred Archeology
- What is Communion?Explanation of Their Meanings and Symbols | Bible Study Tools
- This hallucinogenic fungus could be behind the Salem witch trials.discover magazine
- Altered Minds: The Complicated History of Mescaline | Nature
- World’s Largest Psychedelic Research Center | Tim Ferris Shaw #385
- US veteran with PTSD turns to psychedelic drugs abroad amid growing VA frustration.navy seals
- Roland Griffiths, PhD — Life’s Ultimate Glide Path, Unexpected Stage IV Diagnosis, Facing Death, How Meditation and Psychedelics Can Help, How to Live with Gratitude | Tim Ferris Show #641
- God’s Paradox: Brian Muralescu & Karen Armstrong | After School
- What is Zen Koan?History and Interpretation of Koans | Being Zen
- Zen Master Henry Shukman — 20 Minutes of Silence and the Weird and Powerful World of Koan | The Tim Ferris Show #560
- Henry Shukman — Zen, Tools for Awakening, Ayahuasca vs. Meditation, Introduction to Koan, Using Wounds as Doorways | Tim Ferris Show #531
- Roland Griffiths | Horizons New York 2022
- Self-Liberation: Dissolving the Ego in Psychedelic Experiences | Neuroscience of Consciousness
- The Key to Immortality: Psychedelics and Antiquities by Brian Murarescu and Professor Karl Lack | Jordan Peterson
- Lucy in the Sky with Nazis: Psychedelics and the Right Wing | Symposia
- high times magazine
- Cambo: Controversial Drug Guardian Derived From Stressed Frogs
- Tikkun Olam: Restoring the World | My Jewish Learning
Editor’s Note: Timestamps added after vacation!
- Who is Brian C. Murarescu?
- Mystery of Eleusis.
- A mockery of Karl Lack.
- Why are these ideas accepted only now?
- How did the Eleusinian mysteries influence Christianity?
- Heart-changing Eucharist?
- The role of beer and wine in the foundations of civilization.
- Patrick McGovern.
- A stoning monkey or a drunken monkey?
- What’s Happening at Harvard Theological Seminary Today?
- Karen Armstrong and the Paradox of God.
- Ethnobotanists find friends in strange places.
- Do good in the world based on another world.
- What is the Amazon Conservation Team?
- Harvard psychedelics didn’t start with Leary and Alpert.
- Learn from past mistakes and respect the heritage of the compounds we benefit from.
Related and Recommended
The Tim Ferris Show is one One of the world’s most popular podcasts with over 900 million downloads. He has been voted “Best of Apple Podcasts” three times and is often the number one interviewer on all his Apple Podcasts. is ranked number one.To listen to past episodes for free, check out this page.