- Going on a diet may not be the best strategy if you want to lose weight and become healthier.
- Making small changes in what you eat may lead to better long-term results.
- If you need structure to succeed, a nutritionist or dietary program can help.
Whether you’ve made a New Year’s resolution or not, you’ve probably thought about being healthier in 2023.
That probably means going on a diet, right? necessarily.
If you’re looking for a temporary program to lose weight, dieting may be the answer. However, many experts suggest changing your attitude when it comes to eating.
Improving what you eat can help you lose weight and also avoid the yo-yo effect of weight loss and weight gain associated with fad diets. British medical journal BMJ Dieters lost weight after six months, but most regained it after a year.
“Unfortunately, when people reach their goals and stop the program, most people return to the weight they had previously lost, and then they slowly regain the weight,” says a nurse who specializes in women’s health. , “Be healthy and energetic at any age.”
New Year’s resolution:Recommended products from Reviewed.com to help you stay determined
Trying Dry January?:Here’s How To Stick To Healthy Habits All Year Long
I want to lose weight and eat healthy. What kind of meal should I choose?
First, don’t think of it as a diet. “I coach my clients to replace the word ‘diet’, which is often seen as a stopgap fix, with the word ‘healthy eating plan’. Dallas, Texas.
A popular diet today is intermittent fasting, most commonly eating only 6-8 hours a day. However, a recent study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association found that No link between meal timing and weight loss Over the course of 6 years.
However, smaller, smaller meals were associated with weight loss.
“In addition, skipping meals can make you feel more hungry and craving later, leading to overeating and making it harder to make healthier food choices,” Paddock says. A type of dietary approach can have similar adverse effects.
when you see The Best Diets of 2023 from US News and World Reportthe best recommendations are “technically not a way to think of diets as restrictive,” Gretel Schueller, US News’ health editor-in-chief, told USA TODAY. It’s an approach to style.”
What are good meals to consider as a better meal plan?
mediterranean dietEmphasize unsaturated fats from vegetables, fruits, lean poultry, seafood, whole grains, nuts and extra virgin olive oil.
“A diet that works isn’t one that restricts entire food groups or makes you feel like you’re missing something. It’s better to think of them as eating patterns,” Schuler said.
Mediterranean Diet:Selected as “Best Diet Comprehensive” for 6 consecutive years. Here’s how to get started:
Want to try the Mediterranean diet?:Start with great recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner
Two other top diets recommended on the US News and World Report list are: dash diet – Abbreviation for diet to stop high blood pressure – Limit foods high in saturated fat and sugary drinks flexitarian dieta semi-vegetarian diet that focuses on fruits and vegetables in addition to non-meat proteins such as beans, peas and eggs as a way to reduce meat intake.
Other than restricting sodium on the DASH diet, it’s “non-restrictive, focusing on what we know we should be eating: whole foods, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and limiting candy and processed foods.” ” said Schuler.
What are the important factors to consider when choosing a diet or meal plan?
If your diet or meal plan is too strict, you are less likely to stick to it. Other important questions to ask before embarking on a new eating strategy include:
- Is your favorite food prohibited?
- Are all food groups included? What does our monetary budget allow?
- what about other families?
“If you’re cooking for the whole family, but eating a different diet than everyone else at the table, it’s not very sustainable.” less likely to continue.”
Top-ranked on US News and World Report’s list, these meals can serve as the foundation for a long-term healthy eating plan. Each suggests restriction of unhealthy foods and emphasizes portion control.
“Whatever you choose, it should consist of healthy food and drink, and it should give you the occasional treat, so you stick to it.” You can,” Schuler said.
Carnivore and Lion Diet:Is eating only meat really good for you?
what is everyone saying?:Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day
I don’t want to go on a diet, but I would like to make some simple changes.
Start with small changes. Drink more water, ideally he drinks eight 8-ounce glasses a day, and Secor suggests starting to track his food intake with an app like MyFitnessPal.
“Or maybe start going to bed 15 minutes earlier or walking around the block every day,” she said. more likely.”
Paddock says pick one or two specific changes to focus on and go from there. Some suggestions:
- Replace white bread or white rice with whole grain bread or brown rice (these have more nutrients).
- Choose light popcorn instead of potato chips.
- Buy nuts and snacks individually or pack them in small snack bags for portion control rather than in large containers.
- Instead of always opting for sweets and salty snacks, keep fruit on hand.
- Use smaller plates and bowls so the portions are smaller.
- If you’ve eaten red meat, eat lean protein such as chicken, fish, or beans.
- Consider that after dinner the kitchen is closed until morning.
“Considering a small-step approach with a healthier swap, we can build on successes that not only lead to positive change, but also motivate,” Paddock said.
Rethinking Obesity:What we eat matters. Researchers are still looking for the “best” diet.
Weight gain:Obesity was long considered a personal failure. Science shows otherwise.
What if I need a stricter regimen?
- Find a registered dietitian. These nutrition specialists can “be a valuable tool in coordinating a plan with you and navigating the options that fit your needs and lifestyle.” can do Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website.
- Please try the program. If you are not an experienced cook, try programs such as: weight watcher, Nutrisystem Also Optaviahas helpful guidelines on what foods you can buy and portion sizes. “Some of these more structured, commercial diets may work[for the individual]even for a limited amount of time to activate healthy eating patterns.” said Schueller.
- Get a physical trainer. Diet is only part of a healthy lifestyle. Physical activity is another. But exercise is part of “a holistic approach to the healthy lifestyle you choose.”
Follow Mike Snyder on Twitter. @Mike Snyder.