welcome to another episode of The Tim Ferris Showit’s usually my job to break down world-class performers to reveal routines, habits, etc. that they can apply to their own lives.
This is a special episode, a game changer. This time, legendary investor Bill Gurley interviewed me, recorded earlier this year at SXSW in Austin, Texas. In this conversation, I explore some of the lessons I’ve learned and my favorite discoveries over the last 20 years in areas like entrepreneurship, technology, and podcasting. Add some of your favorite books and other spices to keep things interesting.
Bill Gurley (@bgurley) has been a General Partner of Benchmark for over 20 years. Ventures Before he entered the capital business, Bill worked for Credit Suisse First for Top Rank Research where he worked for four years as an analyst on Wall Street, including three years in Boston. Throughout his venture career, he has worked with companies such as; grub hub, next, open table, stitch fix, uberand Jiro.
For more lessons from his incredible investing career, check out our interview with Bill at tim.blog/billgurley.
As an aside, the speech at SXSW in 2007, which I mentioned in the interview, was in many ways the beginning of everything. That was my first book published, 4 hours work week, Attracts the attention of influential bloggers and major media outlets, and is eventually published in The New York Times Bestseller list. For the next seven years, it’s more or less where the book was published. It was a wild ride.
Listen to the 2007 presentation at tim.blog/sxsw.
One last thing: Hugh Forrestif you’re listening, thank you for giving me a shot back in the day!
A transcript of this episode is available here. Transcripts of all episodes can be found here.
#682: Bill Gurley Interviews Tim Ferriss — Reflecting on Over 20 Years of Life and Business Experimentation
We bring you this episode secure frame! Secureframe’s industry-leading compliance automation platform works with in-house compliance experts and former auditors to Be audit-ready within weeksYou can close more deals faster, not months.
secure frame Simplify and streamline the process of obtaining and staying compliant with the most stringent global privacy and security standards.They support thousands of businesses Achieve compliance with security and privacy frameworks such as SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, PCI, and GDPR.. Schedule a demo now secureframe.comduring the demo, Tim Ferris sent me to unlock 10% off for the first year.
We bring you this episode AG1! People often ask me, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually AG1, my all-in-one nutrition insurance.recommended by 4 hours body In 2010, he received no compensation. Of course, I also try to eat nutritious meals, AG1 Plus, I cover my basics with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-derived micronutrients to support gut health and the immune system.
Now Get Vitamin D Liquid Formula Free With Your First Subscription Purchase—An essential nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. visit DrinkAG1.com/Tim Claim this special offer today and receive a FREE Vitamin D Liquid Formula (and 5 FREE AG1 Travel Packs) with your first subscription purchase! Try our deliciously comprehensive all-in-one daily veggie product and you’ll get up to a year’s worth of vitamin D for added value.
We bring you this episode eight sleep! eight sleep pod cover that is The easiest and fastest way to sleep at the perfect temperature. It combines dynamic cooling and heating with biometric tracking to provide the most advanced (and user-friendly) solution on the market.simply add pod cover Attach it to your current mattress and start sleeping as low as 55°F or as hot as 110°F. You can also split the bed in half so your partner can choose a completely different temperature.
go to EightSleep.com/Tim The Eight Sleep Pod Cover will save you $250. Eight Sleep is currently shipping within the US, Canada, UK, some EU countries, and Australia.
When was the last time Bill Gurley was on this podcast? I Is it the person who asked all the questions? Hear conversations discussing the most efficient short-term MBAs, sell-side and buy-side analysts, repurposing good ideas into alternative applications, underappreciated competitive advantages, the Santa Fe Institute, how to foster anti-tribalism, the problems open source can solve, and more.
#651: Legendary investor Bill Gurley on investment rules, spotting outliers, insights from Jeff Bezos and Howard Marks, must-read books, creating true competitive advantage, open source strategies, adapting mental models to new realities, and more
What’s your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Let me know in the comments.
Scroll down below to view the links and view the notes…
Links selected from episodes
- connect with Bill Gurley:
- Featured Session: Tim Ferris Turning the Tables: A Conversation with Bill Gurley | SXSW 2023
- Legendary Investor Bill Gurley on Investment Rules, Finding Outliers, Insights from Jeff Bezos and Howard Marks, Must-Read Books, Creating Real Competitive Advantages, Open Source Strategy, Adapting Mental Models to New Realities and More | Tim Ferris Show #651
- Department of East Asian Studies | Princeton University
- 4-Hour Workweek: Run 9-5 to Live Anywhere and Join the New Wealth by Tim Ferriss Amazon
- Hobbies Stanford | Yelp
- 4 Hour Body: An Unusual Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex, and Being a Superman by Timothy Ferriss | Timothy Ferriss Amazon
- Timothy Ferris and the ‘4 Hour’ Exit | Globe and Mail
- Angel Investing: What It Is and How to Get Started | Nerd Wallet
- Tim Ferris Angel Investing Profile | The Signal
- Goodbye StumbleUpon, one of the last great ways to find good stuff online | The Verge
- Tim Ferris’ favorite investment is Uber (video) | Business Journal
- How to Increase Your Lucky Surface Area | Codus Operandi
- From SF to Shenzhen: How Tech Hubs Are Built by Tanay Jael | LinkedIn
- Lost Generation: Paris, 1920s | Scott and Zelda
- A fictional world built for chaotic times | The Legend of Cock Punch
- The Lost Presentation That Introduced the 4 Hour Workweek — “The Secret to Doing More with Less in a Digital World” (from SXSW 2007) | Tim Ferris Show #548
- Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, CMS | WordPress
- 4 Hour Chef: The Simple Way to Cook Like a Pro, Learn Anything, and Live a Good Life by Timothy Ferris | Amazon
- Tim Ferris Episode | Joe Rogan Podcast
- Tim Ferris | ID10T (Formerly The Nerdist Podcast) Episode 72
- Tim Ferris | WTF with Marc Maron Episode 355
- Tim Ferris | The Adam Carolla Show
- Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders | 6 Degrees to Joe Rogan: Podcast Network Analysis
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History Podcast
- Inside the Actors Studio | Bravo TV
- 10 Best Movies That Tackle Toxic Influencer Culture | Screen Rant
- Welcome to 5-Bullet Friday | Tim Ferris
- Dungeons & Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History by Michael Witwer, Kyle Newman, Jon Peterson, Sam Witwer | Amazon
- Just to be clear: don’t build a branded house on land you don’t own | John Battelle’s Search Blog
- Finding the 1 Decision That Eliminates 100 Decisions (or Why You Shouldn’t Read a New Book in 2020) | Tim Ferris
- How We Built This With Guy Raz | Wondery
- this american life
- 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Al Reese and Jack Trout | Amazon
- Podcast by Rex Fridman
- Make the best investments with Patrick O’Shaughnessy
- Update on changes to Spotify’s podcast business, June 2023 | Spotify
- How Spotify’s Podcast Plan Didn’t Take Off | The Verge
- “I will DM you now” | Tim Ferris, Twitter
- Tribe of Mentors: Short-lived Advice from the World’s Best by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Sponsored LinkedIn Marketing Solutions
- Complexity: Emerging Science on the Boundary of Order and Chaos by M. Mitchell Waldrop | Amazon
- Science for a Complex World | Santa Fe Institute
- Mr. China: By Tim Crisold | Memoir Amazon
- The Tao of Seneca: A Letter from a Stoic Master (aka Moral Letter to Lucilius) | Tim Ferris
- Perceptions: Real Dangers and Opportunities by Anthony DeMello | Amazon
- Angels Knocking on Tavern Doors: 30 Poems of Hafez | Amazon
- 8 Best Nail Clippers of 2023 | Strategist
- Symptoms and Causes of Raynaud’s Disease | Mayo Clinic
- HotHands Hand Warmer | Amazon
- Mittens | Amazon
- The truth about the New York Times and WSJ bestseller lists | The Observer
- Publishing Industry Data | NPD Bookscan
- Book of the Day: 4 Hour Work Week | Scoblizer
- Nonviolent Communication: Creating Life, Relationships, and the World in Harmony with Values by Marshall B. Rosenberg-Amazon
- [06:32] From Princeton to Podcasting.
- [07:39] How a disillusioned entrepreneur became a reluctant writer.
- [14:22] angel investment and 4 hours body.
- [16:40] Investment rulesets and key points.
- [19:09] How the chosen location maximizes chance coincidences.
- [20:42] Why did I quit angel investing?
- [22:28] Entry into the blogosphere.
- [27:02] Why Podcasting?
- [28:33] Early and permanent lessons to improve your technique.
- [31:37] What does it take to be a successful podcaster?
- [34:57] The power of direct communication with your audience.
- [38:48] Leverage lean infrastructure.
- [40:34] Steps to help you prepare for an effective interview.
- [45:08] A respected podcasting buddy.
- [48:00] Spotify forays into podcasting territory.
- [50:09] Twitter and LinkedIn.
- [53:15] The most gifted book.
- [55:31] The most effective purchase is $100 or less.
- [55:30] Favorite failure.
- [57:50] signboard.
- [58:49] Best investment ever.
- [59:30] New beliefs, behaviors, or habits that improve the most life.
Related and Recommended
The Tim Ferris Show is one One of the world’s most popular podcasts with over 900 million downloads. He has been voted “Best of Apple Podcasts” three times and interviewed across Apple Podcasts.To listen to past episodes for free, go here this page.