Fresh with Mediterranean flavors, this quick Greek tomato feta soup is an easy tangy soup recipe made with sweet and juicy tomatoes, tender orzo pasta, creamy feta cheese and a light chili kick. Pure comfort food!
Craving a flavorful, heartier soup like this? Also try my Cheeseburger Soup and Instant Pot Potato Soup!
Easy Tomato Feta and Orzo Soup Recipe
This vegetarian soup is inspired by the flavors and aromas of the Mediterranean. Sweet ripe tomatoes, savory herbs, Greek orzo pasta and salty chunks of feta combine to make every spoonful a taste of summer.i saw a version of this on TikTok When tried her recipeSince then I’ve been making it on repeat for literally months, changing it up a bit along the way to suit my tastes. absolutely crazy with this soup recipe. The simple seasoning and the simplicity of the recipe are outstanding, and everyone loves it!
This is one of the easiest soup recipes I’ve ever made and one of the tastiest. It’s surprisingly hearty thanks to the richness of the pasta and feta cheese, and it’s ready on the stovetop in less than 30 minutes.It’s perfect for a light lunch or dinner. Also, serve with garlic bread for a more hearty meal.
What is Orzo?
Many people mistake orzo for rice because of its grain-like shape. And it looks a lot like that! However, orzo (also called rosini) is a type of Italian pasta made from semolina flour. You can find it along with other pastas in the aisle of your local grocery store.
Like the viral feta tomato pasta that shares the flavor of this recipe, this creamy tomato feta soup is made with just a few simple ingredients. Remember to refer to the recipe card for full amounts.
- vegetable soup: This vegetarian recipe uses vegetable broth or stock. You can adjust the amount of salt in the soup to your liking, so we recommend the low-salt soup.
- Olive oil: Use a decent quality olive oil for the best flavor.
- Herbs and Spices: dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Orzo pasta: It is a type of short pasta (see above). This type of pasta is common in Greek and Italian cuisine, so we thought it would be a perfect addition to this Mediterranean tomato soup!
- canned tomatoes: Make this soup from canned tomatoes. Drain and chop finely. I like whole plum tomatoes because they have the sweetest taste, but any canned tomatoes will do. Flame-roasted tomatoes also add a deeper flavor.
- Feta cheese: Feta cheese is delicious with a salty and tangy flavor. Use good quality Greek feta cheese and cut it into small cubes (some brands already have it diced).
- Red wine vinegar: Adding a pinch of red wine vinegar at the end of the soup will brighten it up and bring out the flavor.
Can this soup be made with fresh tomatoes?
absolutely! I take a shortcut using canned plum tomatoes, but this soup he can make 100% with fresh whole tomatoes. In this case, you’ll need to remove the tomato skin, which is actually pretty easy.
- Boil water in a pot and prepare another bowl with ice water. Gently pierce the bottom skin of each tomato with a knife.
- Boil the tomatoes in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. This will loosen the tomato skin. As soon as the skin begins to wrinkle and peel off, transfer the tomato to an ice bath.
- After 1-2 minutes, carefully peel the skin off the tomato pulp and discard.
- Cut tomatoes as indicated. Voila!
How to make tomato soup with orzo and feta cheese
This Greek tomato feta soup is so easy to make that it’ll make you feel like you’ve been on vacation in the Mediterranean (well, close enough).
- Heat the broth: First, heat the vegetable broth to a boil in a large pot with olive oil and some seasonings.
- Add orzo and tomatoes. The orzo pasta and chopped tomatoes are then mixed together and simmered to cook the pasta.
- Add feta cheese: Now for the best part! After about 20 minutes, remove pan from heat and stir in feta cheese cubes. Add a spoonful of red wine vinegar to finish and mix. The feta cheese will soften slightly and become creamy.
- serve: Adjust the seasonings and enjoy the soup while it is still warm. See below for easy sides to serve with this Greek tomato soup!
Tips for success
This tomato feta soup recipe is arguably perfect. Here are our final tips for the best tomato soup.
- Feta cheese is the real pleasure of this soup. IMHO. The feta adds creaminess, saltiness, and a touch of spiciness that takes this soup from “wow” to “wow.” In a pinch, goat cheese is the best substitute.
- Do not overcook the pasta. Aim for ortho-al dente when cooking. Too much heat will make your pasta (not to mention the soup) mushy.
- If you prefer a milder soup, You can use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes for the soup.
Ideas for variations
There are a few different ways you can make this tomato feta soup yourself:
- Chicken broth: This soup is currently made vegetarian, but can be made with chicken stock or broth if desired.
- different pasta: Instead of orzo, use another kind of small pasta such as orecchiette, ditalini, fussili, pastina, or bow tie pasta. Or, for a lighter soup, omit the pasta entirely.
- Fresh herbs: Stir in chopped fresh basil, oregano, thyme, sage, or minced garlic.
- Other vegetables: Rice with diced peppers, zucchini and cauliflower.
- lemon: In addition to, or in place of, the red wine vinegar, stir in a spoonful of fresh lemon juice to create a lemon orzo soup ambiance.
Greek Tomato Feta Soup is a delicious light bowl on its own, but you can’t go wrong with a few easy side dishes.
Storing and Reheating Homemade Tomato Soup
Refrigerate leftover tomato feta soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat the soup on the stove or in the microwave. You may notice that the broth thickens during storage as the orzo absorbs more liquid.
If you know you have a lot of leftovers, you can leave out the feta until you’re ready to reheat.
To make this recipe ahead, prepare the tomato soup until you add the feta cheese and let cool before storing in an airtight refrigeration. Stir in the diced feta cheese.
Can you freeze tomato feta cheese soup?
If you want to freeze this soup, we recommend doing so before adding the feta cheese.Once the soup has cooled, it can be sealed and frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw the soup in the refrigerator before reheating and stirring in the feta cheese.
Greek tomato feta soup An easy vegetarian recipe packed with Mediterranean flavor. Made with juicy tomatoes, creamy feta cheese, soft orzo pasta and a light chili kick.
- 8 cups vegetable soup
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Orzo pasta
- 1 (28 oz) canned whole plum tomatoes, drained and cut into chunks
- 12– ounce feta cheese small cubes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add vegetable broth, olive oil, oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. bring to a boil.
- Add orzo pasta and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the diced feta cheese and red wine vinegar. Mix. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Enjoy your meal while it’s warm.
Can be stored in the refrigerator, tightly closed, for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
keyword: tomato soup recipe, orzo soup, vegetarian soup recipe
Save this recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
Easier Soup Recipes