This easy lemon sheet cake recipe is super moist and perfect for parties and holiday desserts. The fluffy cake is topped with sour and creamy lemon icing that you can eat with a spoon!
Don’t forget to try my lemon cream pie recipe too! amazing!
homemade lemon sheet cake
This lemon sheet cake recipe is one of my recent obsessions. The only problem with this cake is that I ate it all! They all seem to love lemon candy, lemonade, and lemon/lime soda, but don’t they love lemon cake? But the great thing about this recipe is that it’s perfect for travel. So, for the party you’re invited to, this is the dessert to bring… so you can get a slice, but not be tempted to lay out the whole cake on the counter.
What you can expect with this sheet cake recipe:
The great thing about this cake is no stand mixer Or you need a hand mixer. So, it’s an easy recipe. It’s pretty silly. The cake is very moist and soft and the icing is tart and creamy. A small lemon wedge is also added on top for a very pretty presentation. Perfect for Easter/Spring/Summer cake recipes!
- all purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- lemon peel and juice
- lemon juice
- sour cream
- vanilla extract
- icing sugar
How to make a Texas sheet cake:
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 15x10x1-inch pan, also called a jelly roll pan, with nonstick baking spray or butter the pan.Sure you can line up cake molds parchment You don’t need it as it’s served right out of the pan if you want it.
- Make the cake dough: Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl and set aside the dry ingredients.then grab a medium pot Add butter, water and lemon juice. Bring this to a boil over medium heat. Once boiling, remove from heat. Pour hot butter mixture directly into flour mixture and stir to combine. Then add sour cream, eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared frying pan.
- bake: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until center is set, or until center comes clean with a toothpick. Place the cake mold on a wire rack and let the cake cool in the mold for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the icing.
- for icing: Place the butter and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until the butter melts. Alternatively, you can do this in the microwave in a large microwave safe bowl.Combine the butter and lemon juice, then slowly add the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth . When the icing is ready, pour it all over the cake while it’s still slightly warm.
- serve: Allow the cake to cool completely so you can slice it neatly. He also likes to garnish with fresh lemon slices and fresh berries such as blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. However, the fruit will leak a little juice into the icing, so do this step just before serving.
This lemon cake recipe is super easy and quick to make, but here are some tips for success!
- Sift powdered sugar for clump-free icing. No matter how much I whip the icing, I always end up with lumps of powdered sugar. A surefire way to prevent this is to sift the powdered sugar before sifting to remove any large clumps!
- Use fresh lemon juice. Fresh lemon juice is the key to this cake. The icing is sweet and creamy, but the acidity of the fresh lemon juice stands out! Using a lemon squeezer helps a lot!
- i use this pot For making all sheet cakes. It was a gift for Christmas and I really like it. It is completely non-stick, so there is little need to grease the pan. Plus, it bakes evenly and has a great handle.
- You can add nuts to make this into a lemon Texas sheet cake. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the lemon frosting before pouring it over the cake. Be sure to check out our Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake recipe and our White Texas Sheet Cake recipe.
- Change up your icing recipe and use Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting instead! Simply melt together 4 ounces cream cheese and 4 ounces butter.Add 1/3 cup lemon juice and 3 cups powdered sugar.
- You can easily replace the lemon zest and juice with limes or oranges.
This cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. Seal with plastic wrap just above the frying pan!
do you like lemons? Here is a lemon cake recipe you should try.
This lemon sheet cake is perfect for a large crowd. Soft and moist lemon cake topped with creamy sour lemon icing that you can eat with a spoon!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large lightly beaten egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups icing sugar
- cake: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 15x10x1 inch pan (jelly roll pan) with non-stick spray.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Melt butter, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Boil for 1 minute and remove pot from heat.
- Pour the hot butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix. Add sour cream, eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared mold.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until center is set, or until center comes clean with a toothpick.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes.
- icing: Put butter and lemon juice in a medium pot and heat over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the warm cake.
- Let cool completely before slicing and serving.
Up to 3 days in airtight storage
keyword: Cookies and cups, cakes, sheet cakes, lemon cakes
Save this recipe?
Find more recipes like this:
PIN for later use: