for the roll:
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup warm whole milk
4 tablespoons melted salted butter
1/3 cup molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For cinnamon sugar filling:
6 tablespoons salted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg or ground cloves (use your favorite or both)
4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
4 tablespoons salted butter, brought to room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean seeds
1. Place the yeast and brown sugar into a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add warm milk and stir gently. Let stand until dough is fluffy and bubbly, about 10 minutes. Add melted butter, eggs and molasses to a bowl and mix. Add flour and salt. Knead the dough with a dough hook for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and a ball forms. Remove the dough from the bowl. Grease the bowl with oil or coat it with cooking spray. Return dough to bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
2. To make the sugar filling, combine sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg in a new bowl and mix well.
3. Liberally butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or slightly smaller dish.
4. Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Roll the dough into a rectangle (approximately 9 by 24 inches). Spread the butter evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar filling evenly over the butter and lightly press the mixture into the butter. Once you reach the edge, pinch along the edge to seal. Cut the log into 10-12 rolls using a sharp knife. Place the rolls in the prepared baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to ferment overnight.
5. In the morning, remove the rolls from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature for about 30-45 minutes while the oven is preheating. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake rolls for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Place cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl and mix until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and whisk until combined. Beat with vanilla. Spread frosting on warm rolls. eat!