The easiest and best banana muffin recipe ever! Easy to make and perfect for a weekend breakfast. Perfectly moist, loaded with bananas and topped with crumb topping. I can’t get enough of this easy muffin recipe.
my favorite banana muffin recipe
I definitely feel like I’m not giving my muffins enough play these days, but I don’t know why. Who doesn’t like muffins? Here are some of our handpicked muffin recipes, from melty cinnamon muffins to savory pizza muffins. But I never posted a classic banana muffin recipe. We will resolve that situation today.
It’s super easy to make, stuffed generously with bananas and sprinkled with a buttery crumb topping. I love it because it always gives me a perfect finish. Perfect to make on the weekends or as a quick breakfast all week long.
Why are these the best?
- Ease of preparation. The banana muffin recipe is so easy! No mixer needed, just a few well-ripened bananas.
- A tried-and-true reader-favorite recipe adapted. If you’ve made my chocolate chip banana bread recipe, you know it’s the best recipe. For this muffin recipe, we adapted it slightly so that it bakes perfectly in muffin tins.
- Fully adaptable! This recipe has all the possibilities. Don’t want crumb topping? Leave it alone. Hate nuts? Please do not use.want to add chocolate chips? please! This is a great basic recipe to get creative.
If you have overripe bananas on your counter, the ingredients are easy. For all measurements and recipe instructions, head over to the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Plus, you can print it out and create it later.
- ripe banana. Bananas should be medium in size and well ripe. This means it will have brown/black stripes. Discard if liquid is leaking. However, up to that point, everything is fine. If your bananas are all yellow, wait a few days before using them for this recipe.
- melted butter. I like to use salted butter in my banana muffin recipe. It melts and is very easy to mix into dough, no mixer needed. If you don’t have butter, you can substitute vegetable or canola oil. However, I prefer butter as it adds more flavor.
- sugar: Use granulated sugar for muffin and crumb topping, and cane sugar for crumb topping.
- egg. Unless otherwise stated, I use large eggs almost exclusively in my baking recipes.
- vanilla extract. In this recipe, adding vanilla extract enhances the banana flavor even more!
- sour cream. Adding sour cream to the muffin batter gives the muffins a soft crumb while also providing moisture and fat. You can also use buttermilk or full-fat Greek yogurt.
- dry ingredients: Baking soda, kosher salt, all purpose flour.
- chopped walnuts. I love chopped nuts in these muffins, but if you don’t like nuts, feel free to omit them.
how to make banana muffins
Place ripe bananas in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. It’s okay if it’s a little lumpy. I will save them for later.
Combine melted butter and granulated sugar, add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Then add sour cream, mashed bananas, baking soda and salt and mix. Finally add the flour and mix.
If you are using nuts or chocolate chips you should add them here
Line muffin tins with cupcake/muffin liners. You can also simply grease the muffin tins with oil or coat them with nonstick spray. Scoop 1/4 cup of muffin batter into each liner. I like using a measuring cup because it’s so easy to use.
Of course, there is also the wonderful streusel topping. It’s so easy to make that I wrote an entire article and a designated recipe for the streusel topping that works whenever you want to add a crumb topping as well as this recipe. Spread buttered crumbs evenly over each muffin. Bake time is about 25 minutes, until set and clean with a toothpick.
Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then serve hot or transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Should I add nuts to this muffin?
Adding nuts to baked goods is a personal preference, so I’ve included a walnut option in the recipe card below, but you can omit nuts from this recipe.You can also add chocolate chips Muffins if you love chocolate!
What else would you like to add to this muffin?
Bananas go well with a variety of baked goods. Here is a list of some fun add-in ideas.
- chocolate chips. So turning this into a banana chocolate his chip his muffin is obviously a good idea.
- mini peanut butter cups
- white chocolate chips
- pumpkin spice
Can banana muffins be frozen?
yes! These banana muffins freeze perfectly! Once completely cooled, store in a zip-top bag or airtight container in the freezer for maximum freshness for months. Just thaw at room temperature and enjoy. You can also reheat in the microwave for a few seconds if you prefer.
Can you make these muffins mini size?
Whether it’s a weekend breakfast or a weekday before work or school, this muffin recipe is a great way to start your morning. You can also use this recipe to make mini muffins. Simply use a mini muffin tin, line with a paper liner, and bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until done.
Want more muffin recipes? Try these!
Banana muffins are easy and delicious!
- 3 medium banana, very ripe
- 1/2 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 big egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Optional – 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cupcake liners into muffin tins. Set it aside.
- Place the bananas in a medium bowl and mash with a fork, leaving some lumps, and set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth. Add sour cream, mashed bananas, baking soda and salt and stir until blended. Then mix in the flour until incorporated.
- Add walnuts if desired.
- Divide 1/4 cup batter into each muffin tin to prepare the crumb topping.
- In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients for the crumb topping: granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, butter, and flour. The mixture should form large crumbs. Place an equal amount of crumb topping on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are set and a toothpick can be inserted through the center.
- Allow muffins to cool in molds for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on wire racks or serve warm.
Store tightly closed for up to 3 days.
Optional: You can add 1/2 cup chocolate chips If you wish!
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- calorie: 489
- sugar: 29.9g
- sodium: 370.1mg
- obesity: 27g
- carbohydrates: 57.6g
- protein: 5.4g
- cholesterol: 75mg
keyword: banana bread, recipe, banana muffins, cookies and cups, bananas
Save this recipe?
Discover more recipes like:
PIN for later use: