I love summer, but I can’t say I love Texas’ record heat wave this year. If you’re not near a lake, beach, or pool (a kid’s pool is good enough!), you’re probably asking yourself the same question. What to do on a hot day? It’s hard to come up with ideas that can take on the world beyond air conditioning. I even found myself typing “” because it doesn’t work very well in this level of heat and humidity.The heat slows down the braininto Google. Desperately. It was a relief to know that it was real.
If you’re like me, you might be caught between wanting to make the most of these fleeting summer days and not being able to get out and sweat. So, until the fall weather settles down in a few months, I’m trying to get through it with triple-digit temperatures and plenty of time indoors. If you’re looking for something fun to do on a hot day, come by. You’ve come to the right place.
Featured image by Michelle Nash.
What to do on a hot day: 32 ideas
please tell me. Summer isn’t wasted just because it’s too hot to go outside. We’ve put together a list of creative, delicious, relaxing, and productive things to do on a hot day. You can always rely on it when you start to get bored. Whether you’re looking for a perfect summer day by the water or you’re here wondering what to do indoors on a hot day, I have ideas for you.
From homemade popsicle making to facial massages, consider our go-to list of boredom-busting memory-making ideas that will keep you busy on Labor Day and beyond.
Creative activities for hot days
1. Create the ultimate summer playlist. Combine all the songs that make you happy, old and new, into one perfect playlist. Then you’re ready to go for pool days, beach walks, al fresco dinners, and solo dance parties. Or get inspired by our summer playlist.
2. Discover your Enneagram type. Find out how your personality can teach you about yourself, others, and how you relate to yourself. But remember, you are more than just a type.
3. Design your own flower arrangement. It’s too hot to be outside, so bring nature indoors with a bunch of affordable flowers from Trader Joe’s. Listen to music (see tip #1) and design the layout of each room in your home.
4. Give your home a fresh new look for free. If the heat makes you want to stay indoors, it might be better to stay home. Check out her seven styling tips to create a whole new look without spending a penny.
5. Write a letter. One of the things I miss most about summer camp is pen to paper and keeping friends and family up to date on my various adventures. Take out your stationery to say hello to your friends, loved ones, kids/nieces/nephews at camp, or leave notes at your partner’s bedside.
6. Start a board game. Enjoy some friendly competition at a good old game night. Check out our list of approved boredom-busting board games.
7. Find inspiration on YouTube. The platform is a treasure trove of ideas for updating your home and wardrobe, trying out new beauty routines, trying out interesting recipes, and learning productivity tips to completely transform your day.Not sure where to start? Camille Styles YouTube Channel is our obvious favorite.
delicious things to do on a hot day
8. Make your own ice cream. If you’ve never made homemade ice cream before, you’ve missed your chance. I scream, you scream too, and we all scream for the healthier homemade ice cream recipes you make. offal I am going to try it this summer.
9. Use up the summer fruits at the shoe store. While chocolate is welcome every other month of the year, I believe that summer desserts must always have fruit. Try one (or all) of these cobbler, crisp, or crumble recipes and let us know which one is your favorite. If you’re feeling ambitious, why not top it with homemade ice cream?
10. Create an enchanting snack spread for dinner. When it’s too hot to even hit the grocery store, rely on Camille’s tried-and-true “dinner treat” recipe. It’s festive, delicious, fully customizable, and requires very little cooking. aka perfect for lazy summer nights.
11. Host a homemade pizza party. Does anyone else in your family struggle to find dinner ideas that will satisfy everyone’s taste buds? I was really overjoyed. Plus, it’s just fun. Get creative with your topping combinations or try one of Camille’s current favorites.
12. Create a dinner menu using only summer ingredients. One of the best things about summer is definitely the produce. Check out seasonal fruits and vegetables and try your favorite summer recipes.
13. Make homemade popsicles. Nothing helps beat the heat like popsicles.Get creative by making your own popsicles with these popsicle mold, or if you need some inspiration, try the Mango Lassi Popsicle recipe. Just add your favorite fruit juice and you can easily enjoy summer snacks. Would you like to host an adult-only party? Try one of these drinkable popsicle recipes instead.
14. Have a picnic indoors. Pull out your favorite picnic blanket, light some candles and create a dreamy indoor picnic in your living room. This is the ideal setting to enjoy the perfect recipes for a picnic. Protect your fun and food by avoiding heat and bugs.
Relaxing activities on a hot day
15. Enjoy a 90’s movie night. because we all need to watch parent’s trap At least once in summer.Design your ideal movie marathon with your go-to movie 90’s must-see list. Don’t forget the popcorn!
16. Get a spa-like facial at home. Rest your skin from the sun and sweat with this 5-step facial by Camille’s esthetician. Your skin and heart will thank you.
17. Create a meditation space in your home and start zen. One of my summer goals is to finally master meditation. Start by creating a meditation spot in your home. This meditation takes me from the hot and humid Texas summer days to the cool, crisp California vibe. Well, at least in my head.
18. Let’s take a power nap. The best way to beat the heat is to sleep through it. Summer is all about fun, but we often forget that rest is also important. Maximize the beauty of your sleep with these products.
19. Learn facial massage techniques. Did you know that a regular facial massage can have anti-aging benefits, reduce stress and make your skin glow from the inside out? Find out exactly how to do a facial massage at home and try it yourself. Try it.
20. Pick up the book you wanted to read. Put on your favorite breezy loungewear, curl up on the sofa and immerse yourself in a book. Need a book lecture? Check out our editors’ favorite fiction novels for the perfect summer escape. What better way to spend a hot summer Sunday?
Productive things to do on a hot day
twenty one. clean the closet. Make the most of your time indoors and stay organized. Summer is the perfect time to get rid of clothes you don’t want or need and store your winter wardrobe. Because you can use more space for sundresses and swimwear.
22. Get in shape with our Cardio Dance Workout Videos. It’s so hot in Texas that it’s dangerous to work out outdoors, so I watch my favorite workout videos to stay active. what’s my personal favorite? A fun and sassy cardio dance class. Learn more about dance cardio training and get ready to groove.
23. Start an indoor herb garden. There’s nothing like fresh herbs for a summer dinner. Why should I buy it when I can grow it? If you don’t have an outdoor space, or it’s too hot to garden, check out what’s best for you. indoor herb garden system.
twenty four. make vision board. Tony Robbins famously said, “Energy flows where attention goes.” I love the opportunity to get serious about visualizing my goals. Use your creative side and learn how to create a vision board.
twenty five. Connect your mind and body through yoga. New research shows that consistent yoga practice can lead to long-term positive changes in brain health. Try these 10 stress-reducing yoga poses at home to reap both the physical and mental benefits of yoga. For more, check out her 5 facial yoga exercises that give your skin a radiant glow from within.
26. Relax and dive into a new podcast. Whether you’re looking for a podcast that will lift your spirits, motivate you, help you with your career, or guide you through parenting, we’ve got you covered. Spend this time inside to learn something new about yourself, your life, and the world around you.
things to do with kids on a hot day
27. Visit the skating rink. Usually reserved for the winter months, there’s no better way to cool off than going directly to the source itself. Gather your family and get ready to have some fun!
28. Support your local cinema. Big movie theater chains are sure to show all the summer blockbusters, but there’s nothing quite like the small theater experience. These local theaters often have quirky seats and sofas that are fun to lounge on. And, of course, it has air conditioning.
29. Let’s have a water balloon fight. Fill up the many water balloons in your backyard with a hose. Let’s work in teams! This was one of my favorite things to do in hot weather as a kid and it definitely still is.
30. I’m going to a baseball game. It may not be recommended on a hot summer day, but once the temperatures are cool enough, it’s one of the best ways to spend the day with the whole family. Try to find a seat in the shade if possible.
31. Set up an obstacle course. If the summer heat just won’t go away, try building an indoor obstacle course for kids. Use whatever you have on hand, such as pillows or sofa cushions. One of the most fun and creative indoor activities he can do on a hot day. or, treasure hunt. Believe please. Kids will love it.
32. Make hot dogs over the fire. In the evening, when the heat wave eases a bit, take advantage of the slightly cooler temperatures and cook dinner outdoors. Bonus points for eating s’mores after meals.
This post was originally published on July 7, 2022 and has since been updated.