cheese, tangy and creamy pimento cheese It’s a classic party dip and spread made with cheddar cheese and sweet pimento peppers. This easy Southern appetizer is a game day must-have. I can see why.
Spread this on sweet potato biscuits for a true Southern treat!
Creamy Pimento Cheese Recipe
If you’re reading this in the South, you’re already know What is going on in this kitchen? In our home, it’s not a game day or a gathering without a big bowl of creamy pimento cheese on the table. I thought it was time to share my recipe with you.
Pimento cheese is a popular Southern dip recipe that is super creamy, has a strong cheesy flavor, and is easy to dip and spread. The spinach and artichoke dip is a must-have appetizer. If you haven’t tried it yet, get ready to go crazy.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Dip Idea
I can almost guarantee that this classic dip will become a staple in your household. Here’s why you’ll love it!
- Full of flavor. This mouth-watering cheese dip is a little sweet and a little tangy, but you can make it a little spicier if you prefer.
- Super easy. Mix the ingredients and let it rest in the refrigerator until the dip is ready to eat. That’s all.
- Perfect for game day. Our football party wouldn’t be complete without smearing our homemade pimento cheese on everything from crackers to vegetables. Great for dips and toppings.
What is pimento cheese?
Pimento cheese is a classic Southern appetizer that turns cheddar cheese and pimento peppers into a creamy dip (which can also be used as a sandwich spread). Known as southern putty in some states. Spread it on everything from crostini to crackers, or use it as a cheese dip for veggies.
Are pimento peppers spicy?
Pimento peppers are one of the mildest types of peppers, characterized by their sweet, rather than spicy, flavor. In fact, pimento is also called cherry pepper because of its sweet taste and bright red color.
If you prefer a spicier dip, use bottled peppers instead of the mildly roasted red peppers used in this recipe for extra spiciness. You can also add finely chopped jalapenos.
Below is an overview of a short list of ingredients needed to make this famous Southern Pimento Pepper Dip. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for full recipe details.
- Cheddar cheese: Be sure to use freshly grated cheddar, not pre-shredded cheddar. I love making this recipe with sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese.
- Cream cheese: Bringing the cream cheese to room temperature beforehand makes it easier to mix.
- Pimento pepper: I love the convenience of bottled and roasted red peppers. Pat dry and cut into small pieces.
- mayonnaise: Adding mayonnaise makes the dip even richer and creamier.
- seasoning: The seasoning of pimento cheese varies from person to person. I use a combination of cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
How to make pimento cheese
Making homemade pimento cheese couldn’t be easier. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Once the dip is mixed, place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Chilling the cheese dip will allow the flavors to blend before serving.
Can I prepare this recipe in advance?
yes! As mentioned above, this recipe should be left in the refrigerator for plenty of time. For this reason, pimento cheese is very suitable for making ahead. Prepare dip according to directions 1-2 days in advance and store covered in refrigerator until ready to eat.
Here are some additional tips on the best pimento cheeses.
- Hand grate fresh cheese. Do not use a cheese bag when making pimento cheese, as pre-chopped cheddar has a waxy coating that affects the flavor and texture of the dip.
- For those who are sensitive to spices, Omit the cayenne pepper in the recipe. Adjust other seasonings to your liking.
- Speed up your work with a hand mixer. If you’re in a hurry, use an electric hand mixer to mix the dip ingredients. Whatever you do, you want to keep the texture of this dip soft and fluffy, so avoid the food processor.
How to enjoy pimento cheese
As a dip, serve pimento cheese with seasoned crackers, tortilla chips, pita chips, or crudités. I love having this on my game day appetizer table next to favorites like Crispy Crab Balls, Cheese Chicken Taquitos, and Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sliders.
If you have red pepper dip in your fridge, spread this red pepper dip on your morning bagels. This recipe is also great as a spread on a pimento grilled cheese sandwich or as a topping for a savory burger. Plus, it’s a delicious addition to cheese-based recipes like my Stovetop Mac and Cheese.
This easy appetizer recipe keeps well, so you can enjoy leftovers for days. Here’s how to store pimento cheese.
- refrigerator: This cheddar and red pepper dip will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
- freezer: We do not recommend freezing cheese-based dips as they tend to be grainy after thawing. Luckily, this recipe is easy to make and store in the refrigerator.
Easier Appetizers and Dips
Creamy pimento cheese A traditional Southern appetizer dip and spread made with cheddar cheese and sweet pimento peppers. A must have for game day!
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (not grated)
- 6 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup finely diced roasted red peppers lightly beaten and dried
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until creamy. Refrigerate for 2 hours to let the flavors meld.
- Serve with crackers, pita chips, tortilla chips, as a sandwich spread, as a hamburger topper, or on bagels.
keyword: pimento cheese, pimento cheese recipe, pimento cheese dip